Archiver > ENG-KENT-NWKFHS > 2007-01 > 1169811479

From: "Ron Ellis" <>
Subject: [ENG-KENT-NWKFHS] Puzzle
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:37:59 -0000

Can anyone comment, please?

In the 1851 Census we have the following family all living in Yates's Turnpike, Mereworth, Kent:-

Samuel Bratton aged 62 Married Turnpike Gate Keeper b Wrotham

Mary Bratton aged 63 Married b Ludsdown

Mary Ann Pett aged 12 G Daughter b Offham

William Pett aged 32 Son in law U (=Unmarried) b Northfleet

Question - all this is quite clearly stated, so how can a Son in law be unmarried?

Any elucidation welcome, as Samuel is my second Great Granduncle, and several of us are interested in the William Pett!

Ron Ellis - member 6203 - living in Yorkshire

This thread: