ENG-HAM-NEW-FOREST-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-HAM-NEW-FOREST > 2002-07 > 1027202560

From: "Sue and Paul Davey" <>
Subject: Re: [NEW-FOREST] New Forest THORN's - help with missing dates please.
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:10:42 +0100

Hi Jenny and other listers,

Well, I did start my first message with perhaps we ought to all post our
interests and that we might find another cousin...looks like my theory may
have worked!!!!! So I suggest that all of you get posting!!!

Now Jenny where have you been hiding?!!!! I do believe you are another long
lost cousin!!!

Your probably not going to believe this but I too think that my George THORN
was the son of Thomas THORN and Frances WALLIS, but alas the baptism of
George fails to show up in the Beaulieu registers c1815/16ish which is
somewhat frustrating, so I cannot prove for definite that he was their son!
But of course they did have a son James born c1805 that married Ann WORT at
Beaulieu on 21 Oct 1832.

However, the wonderful Tony and Linda Knight looked up the 1841 census for
me and found who I believe to be my George living next door to Thomas and
Frances at Park Cottages, Beaulieu...this could be the closest I ever get to
linking him to them.

I do have the marriage certificate for George THORN and Maria COLLIS which
states that his father was Thomas THORN, labourer. They married at Boldre
on 12 April 1845 and witnesses were James COLLIS and Ann WARD. No other
Thomas THORN's have come to light in the area as yet from the 1851 census
index...so the Thomas who married Frances WALLIS is my best candidate to
date...unless anyone can tell me otherwise!

From Comyn's New Forest...Frances WALLIS had a sister called Mary who
appears to have married an Edward WARD...but I don't have their marriage
date. They had a child John (1806) who married an Ann COX...she could have
been the Ann WARD witness to my George and Maria's wedding!!!

Well, thanking you for your offer of look-ups, I would be most grateful for
anything that comes to light and there is certainly no rush. As you can
probably tell I am quite excited by your contact!!! Will tell you more
another day...but will email 2 others that I know have children that married
children of Thomas and Frances THORN...not sure if they are on this list.
My dad's cousin in Canada is also a descendant of this line and a genie too,
so I will let him know!!

Look forward to hearing from you again...
Sue Davey
Plymouth, UK.