ENG-EAST-YORKS-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-EAST-YORKS > 2010-11 > 1290298173

From: "Josephine Laxton" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-EAST-YORKS] RICHARDSON Peter & Isabella marriage 1811
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:09:33 -0500

Hi List,
This reminds me of a conundrum re one of our ancestors offshoots. The name
is variously recorded as Leversedge, Liversedge, Liversidge, Loversadge...
my sister sent me the info with the remark that a bright new shiny pin was
needed to figure out which one was right. Another transcription error
recorded on the 1841 census a son for my Great Grandfather Howarth, under
the designation of Perciber, it was then discerned that this was wrong and
the name was actually a daughter Preciler, a later census showed her as
Pricilla. I shall now order a birth cert to confirm this. There was another
error on the same census for a female child, Hallerthen, later found to be
Alathea! my sister spends a great deal of time, setting the records straight
on the LDS website...this is of course when they have been properly
identified, with the appropriate identification certs.
It isn't only the LDS who make mistakes, we looked for years for
my Great Grandmother McKay, who claimed on every census to have been born in
Yorkshire. The trouble was that the census takers, incorrectly identified
the family as McHague, likely a derivation of the name McOidgh (in gaelic) I
am sorry to say that for quite a long time, I thought Grandma was fibbing,
as it was known the family came to England by way of Ireland, having
originated in Scotland. Even her own son who emmigrated to America,
identified his mother as been born in Ireland! He left home at a young age,
and can be forgiven for the error. Her elder brothers were born in Ireland,
in County Sligo, My Great Grandmother's father was a Cooper by Trade. He
started out in England (after emmigrating from Ireland, with his young
family), on a British Army base. Most likely his skills were needed because
Britain was at War, and they needed Powder Barrels. He later went into the
metal trades...
This is how easy it is to misread the records. Never trust any records
unless they have been verified with the original documents, such as birth
certs, marriage certs and death certs...there are many pedigrees online
which are fanciful to say the least...each time someone copies these
pedigrees, the fallacy is extended. The sad part is that even when proved to
be wrong, people do not change their pedigree, over time, the problems have
been compounded and whole lines of pedigrees perverted. Copying pedigrees is
fine, as long as everyone checks the veracity of the same by obtaining the
relevant documentation for the same.
The most curious error and one which has still not been rectified, is
the fact that my Great Grandad, was identified as a female, by the LDS, even
though we have proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he was a male, and
produced with the help of his wife, at least 9 children! I'd bet that his
wife would have been surprised to know her husband was female!! Kindest
regards, Josephine M. Laxton Ont. Canada...