ENG-DORSET-CHRISTCHURCH-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-DORSET-CHRISTCHURCH > 2006-12 > 1165482200

From: "H AVIA" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-DORSET-CHRISTCHURCH] Joseph WILLIS and Jane SMITH
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 22:03:20 +1300

Hi Keith,
Thankyou very much for your multiple replies to my query. I think Jane's
parents are more likely to be William and Elizabeth, as Joseph and Jane
called the eldest of their 7 children Elizabeth Smith WILLIS. She was my
Gr,gr grandmother.
Joseph died 19-Aug-1849 at Corfe Castle ( have death cert) and Jane was bur
at Corfe Castle14-May-1848.
Their ages given at death suggest Joseph born about 1766, and Jane about
1770.
Thanks for the offer to look up the documents in Dorchester. I would be very
interested in any WILLIS or SMITH or FAYLE entries you happen to find,
whenever you find the time to look. I suppose people's capabilities would
mean that their occupations are included, which would be interesting!
Elizabeth Smith WILLIS mar Thomas BARRETT OF Haselbury Plucknet, Somerset,
and died there 1836, soon after the birth of her 10th child, and was bur at
East Coker, and her husband died 1838. Joseph became the guardian of his 8
surviving grandchildren. My Gr grandfather, Charles BARRETT (born 1829) was
raised by his Aunt Jane WILLIS and her husband Rev. James MAYO of Wimborne
Minster, until he was sent to Australia age 15 with his 3 older brothers who
all later came to N.Z. Rather a long saga!
Thanks again, Heather
N.Z.

H. M. AVIA
Christchurch