ENG-BLACKCOUNTRY-DIASPORA-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-BLACKCOUNTRY-DIASPORA > 2002-04 > 1018703027

From: "Catherine Atkin" <>
Subject: [BC Diaspora] TURNER
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:04:18 +0100

Joining the migration trail

My great grandfather REUBEN TURNER born 1863, Lower Gornal
youngest child of THOMAS TURNER & RACHEL FELLOWS
(JOSEPH-1851, BENJAMIN-1853, BETSY M-1856, JOHN-1858, JOSHUA-1860)
all dates approximate.

On 1881 census he is a coal miner lodging with the family of Joseph
Westwood at Green Heath, Cannock

On 10 March 1885 he married HANNAH REANEY at the parish church of Sheffield & they
made their home at Orchard Lane Beighton, Derbyshire. They had 4 children WILLIS, RAYMOND, JOSEPH & ELSIE.

Sadly REUBEN died aged 33 in 1897 almost 11 months after an accident at
Holbrook Colliery.

I have no clues as to why Reuben made the journey to Sheffield other than work - I don't know of any relatives in the area. How he and Hannah met is a mystery I would love to solve.

Happy hunting

Catherine Atkin
born Sheffield migrated to Leicestershire in 1880

This thread: