EDWARDS-L Archives

Archiver > EDWARDS > 1999-06 > 0930786193

From: Diana Roy <>
Subject: [EDWARDS-L] Please see if this is your Edwards line
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:43:13 PDT

This is the information I have. Most was sent to me by other
Edwards.
Some of the information maybe wrong. I tried using the information that
seemed
To be a major from my emails.
If you see anything wrong please let me know. If you have proof or
where I may get
It I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance and hope theres something
to help you.

Im alittle confused, I didnt have the Edwards born in America but until
Gomer Edwards
born 8 November 1909, maybe his father because I do not have a birth place
for him.
It does show that

It does say, Thomas 1723, (brother of the famous Robert) came back to Wales
and had a son, Robert, born in 1743 in Ysceifiog near Holywell..

Theres several times it says someone came to America but their children
were born in Wales. This is
Blowing my mind. Well whats left of it. Maybe someone may see something I
didnt and can explain to me what Im missing. Did they keep going back and
forwards or am I trying to put information with wrong generations or maybe
the wrong people that do not belong just the same name. Please help me.

Generation #1
John EDWARDS born 1450

Generation #2
Robert EDWARDS born 1475

Generation #3
William EDWARDS born 1500.
m. Agnes (?)

Generation #4
Richard EDWARDS, Sr. born 1523 Somersetshire County,England
was a scholar at Corpus Christi College in Oxford, England. I heard that he
had also been a poet laureate. I don't know if this is true at this point
because the book that my father had seems to have gotten lost. He received
an MA degree in 1547
Rev.Richard Edwards of the Church of England
m. 1) Margaret Babb d. 31 October 1567
mother: Margaret Babb: William Edwardes (1561)
William Edwards who was the son of Rev.Richard Edwards of the Church of
England and settled in Hartford, CT
m. Helene Griffith
Richard EDWARDS Jr. born 1566
d 1567 at Edwards Hall Edwards Hall was in Glen Morganshire and it was
built around 1050-1100 in the time of William the Conqueror and came into
the Edwards family later by marriage into the family of Queen Elizabeth.
Many generations occupied Edwards Hall until it was abandoned in the early
1700s. Nothing but a pile of rubble now reamins to mark its location in this
rough, hilly, rocky land.

Generation #5
Richard EDWARDS Jr. born 1566
Richard born Somersetshire , Wales
m. Ann Riffin could be
"G riffin"
children: William b. ca. 1580 Wales
Joshua EDWARDS born ca 1580/85

Generation #6
Joshua EDWARDS born ca 1580/85
Wales
d. after 1664 (when he was made a land baron)
children:
William
Robert
John
-Robert Edwards(William's brother) arrived in Jamestown from Cardiff, Wales
for the first time in 1634. It is from oral history that he came a second
time in July 1636 aboard the ship "Ye Merchant Hope", with his brothers
Thomas, John and William. (From The Edwards; Bruce Edwards).
Robert married Rebecca in Isle of Wight, Virginia. Information taken from
"The Edwards"; Bruce Edwards
Robert Edwards born abt 1581 of Edwards Hall Cardiff married Anne Ruffin
in about 1606

Generation #7
William EDWARDS born1620
b. Wales
m. Margaret Stadworth.
????????????????????????????????He would had only been 15
-William Edwards is said to have come to Virginia in 1635 from Cardiff on
the ship "Ye Merchants Hope", at the age of 30 "Yeres". Was the fourth son
in line to inherit the castle where he was raised and would not have the
opportunity to receive any of his father's wealth hence he came here to seek
his fortune.
-Robert Edwards(William's brother) arrived in Jamestown from Cardiff, Wales
for the first time in 1634. It is from oral history that he came a second
time in July 1636 aboard the ship "Ye Merchant Hope", with his brothers
Thomas, John and William. (From The Edwards; Bruce Edwards).

Generation #8
Thomas N. EDWARDS born 1639
b. Wales
married in Wales Elizabeth Hael / Hall. B Ca 1640
About 1662 a son, Robert, was born, who remained in Wales and had three
sons.
died 1671 in Wales
Thomas m Cocke, is her last name.???????

Thomas Hael b. 1614
m. ca. 1638 to a Welch girl who died ca. 1640 at the birth of their
daughter, Elizabeth in Wales.. Mary Druery
married 2nd Anne Medford who died in 1687.
On Nov. 20, 1642 Thomas Hael received from the Dutch government a grant of
77-acrea in the New York Territory on the Hudson River in American.
To his son-in-law, Thomas Edwards, he made a deed to the 77-acre Dutch land
grant. This same land went to the Edwards descendants and finally became a
part of the billion dollar Manhattan area known today as New York City.
Trinity Church is located in this area.
Died May 9, 1669 in Wales.

Generation #9
Robert Hael EDWARDS born 1662
b.Wales
married Margaret CUELIN 1685.Wales
-m. 2nd 13 June 1698 Judith Maaston
Robert died 1738

Generation #10
Thomas Nathaniel EDWARDS born 14 Oct. 1690
b Edwards Hall, Cardiff, South Wales
m.Kat*-MarriagesOriginal File
Marriage 1 Wife: Isabelle Downing
Marriage Date: 1714
South Wales
Thomas Came over to America on April 8, 1720
About 1750 Thomas, with his wife and eight children and his brothers, Henry
and Edward, came to America. He settled in Ny on the 77 acres inherited from
his grandfather lying on the Hudson River in the territory on NY. In 1771 he
bought land from the Indians which added 50,000 more acres to his land lying
alone the Hudson River in the State of NY.In payment for services he
rendered the English Government during the French and Indian Wars, the Crown
gave Thomas Edwards absolute title. Although very old, he was active in
supporting the English Government and was responsible for a large amount of
wheat bought in NY for the British.

Thomas Edwards of Wales married Isabelle Downing, their children were Robert
(1716), Joshua (1718), William (1720), Thomas (1723), Leonard (1725), John
(1727), Jacob (1729) and Martha (1731).
William Edwards, born April 9, 1720 in Wales, came to America and married
Polly Cramer in 1747 in Baltimore MD. William was the father of seven
children by Polly and by a second marriage to widow Harriett Curtis he had
eight children.
About 1790, after serving in the Revolutionary war as a sergeant major, he
settled in Mt. Sterling and operated an iron mine and foundry."
(it goes on to say that he sold out his estate and went to live with his
youngest son, Jonathan Edwards near Warsaw, Gallatin County, Kentucky -

Thomas Nathaniel Edwards died in 1783 in Ny. His eldest son, Robert
Edwards, was the administrator of his estate.Children listed in an old Bible
record:

Generation #11
Thomas Edwards, Jr born July 7, 1723
the Edwardses in Glamorgan and found all the
siblings of Robert as follows:
Thomas born 2 July 1723 (page 1705)
*Kat*- Marriages Original File
Husband:Thomas Edwards, Jr.
Father: Thomas Edwards
Mother: Isabelle Downing
Wife:Elizabeth Nichols
Marriage Date:1743
I understand that Thomas, (brother of the famous Robert) came back to Wales
and had a son, Robert, born in 1743 in Ysceifiog near Holywell..
Lived in Henry Co., Virginia on Smith River. Died 1792-93

In my local library ( I live in Uxbridge, West London although I was born
in Liverpool) there is a copy of the Mormon Registers and I will look up
your North Wales Edwardses as soon as I can. I have found entries in the
Glamorgan section of the Mormon records for the following:

Robert Edwards born abt 1581 of Edwards Hall Cardiff married Anne Ruffin
in about 1606 (page 1699)

Thomas Edwards, (son of William Edwards) born 14 Oct 1690 (page 1705)
his wife Elizabeth Downing (page 1525) there was an Elizabeth Downing born
Cardiff 1694

(I have been through all the Downing records in Glamorgan and she seems to
fit)

I have also been through all the Edwardses in Glamorgan and found all the
siblings of Robert as follows:
Robert Edwards born 24 Feb 1716 (page 1699)
Joshua born 12 May 1718 (page 1664)
William born 8 April 1720 ( page 1716)
Thomas born 2 July 1723 (page 1705)
Leonard born May 1725 (page 1665)
John born 1727 (page 1652)
Jacob born 1729 (page 1643)
Martha Patsy born 1731 (page 1675 and 1674)
I Hope this has been some use to you! I look forward to hearing from you.

Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire, North Wales.
*family papers*

I have just come off the telephone from the Flintshire County Records
Office and they tell me that "Isgeifigg Parrish" is probably Ysceifiog,
just off the A541 road from Buckley to Bodfari. "Groesfford" is possibly
the name of a house. This is great news for me because my ancestors are
from Brynford which is about 4 miles from Ysceifiog! I have also spoken to
my brother who still lives in Liverpool (I am near London) and in a few
weeks he will drive over to Ysceifiog and try to find the house!
All the Flintshire parish records are kept in Hawarden near Chester
in my local library I noticed a copy of a mapof North Wales of 1840 and lo
and behold just down the road from Ysceifiogwe have Groes fford! It seems
to be a tiny village lying at the cross road(that's what Groes fford
means)south east of Ysceifiog on the road toLixwm.

Generation #12
Thomas, (brother of the famous Robert) came back to Wales and had a son,
Robert in Ysceifiog near Holywel
Robert Edwards born 1743
Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire, North Wales.

Children:
Edward Owen Edwards, born at Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire,
North Wales, on the 18th of December, 1838. ( my line cont.)

Generation #13
Owen Edwards
b. Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire, North Wales.
m Hannah Evans14 July 1838
m. Alice Davis 18 December 1848
famly records- Owen Edwards and Hannah Evans was married July 14, 1838
Children:
1.Edward Owen Edwards, born at Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire,
North Wales, on the 18th of December, 1838. ( my line cont.)
2. Robert 26 November 1840
3. Charles was born July 14, 1843 died Oct 1843
4. Charles , born at Groesffordd, etc. on the 24th of January 1846.
5. John was born September 9, 1848 died Sept 16 1848.
(copy from family papers Hannah was buried Sept. 23, 1848)
Owen Edwards and Alice Davis was married December 18, 1848.
1. Samuel, born May 17 1850 at Kendell (or Kindel) South Wales.
2. Richard and 3. Hannah was born January 8, 1853
Hannah was burried February 3, 1853
Richard was buried February 8, 1853
4. Hannah and 5. Elizabeth was born October 5, 1854
Hannah was buried 5 October 1854.

Generation #14
Edward Owen Edwards born 18 December 1838.
b. Groesffordd, Isgeifigg Parrish, Flint Shire, North Wales.
m.Mary Allen
1. Edward Owen Edwards married Mary Allen.
To this union was born Owen Edwards on August 23rd. 1862, and Resse who died
in infancy.
He married a second time Susan Griffith.
m. Susan Griffith
children:William 24 July 1866 d. 1866
Gomer 07 September 1868 d. 1868
Hannah, born on the 25th. day of December 1869
Elizabeth 19 February 1872
Charles 12 August 1875
Edward Owen 02 April 1876
Mary 16 March 1877
Alice 05 October 1878 d.1878
Susan 01 November 1879
Harriet 10 July 1881
Gomer 28 January 1883 15 June 1966
Thomas 29 August 1886

Generation #15
Gomer Edwards, born 28 January 1883

Generation #16
Gomer William Edwards, born 8 November 1909
m. Bessie Lou Hampton (Roberson)
West Virginia
employee of the metals division at Union Carbide's Alloy plant for 30 years
and was a self-employed sign painter
Gomer William Edwards
Social Security Death Index Search Results
Issuing State:West Virginia (Before 1951)
Name GOMER EDWARDS Born 8 Nov 1909 Died Sep 1972
SSN Issued 236-30-0754
Copyright Ancestry.com, Inc. 1998
Gomer died at Montgomery General Hospital at the age of 62. Buried at
Montgomery Memorial Park.

Generation #17
Maurice Edwards 1936
West Virginia