DYFED-L Archives

Archiver > DYFED > 2009-02 > 1233663884

From: "John Ball" <>
Subject: Re: [Dyfed] North of Tregaron along B4343
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:24:44 -0000

Jennifer Cairns <>
Bethan Philips, in her book, Pity the Swagman mentions that the railway,
built across the bog by David Davies [Llandinam], was kept from sinking into
the morass by the use of bales of sheep wool under the track. Joseph Jenkins
diary talks of wool being taken there by the local farmers "by the ton in
cartloads". [p.78] - however I couldn't make out the railway line in the
satellite photograph...
==========

Dear Jen,

Nor could I, but the large-scale 19th century map of the area on the
Old-Maps website shows the railway track in situ, identified as the
Manchester & Milford Railway.
Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ and on the main page, click on the
illustration which states "Click here to begin your search". On the search
page which appears, enter 268100 and 261500 into the co-ordinates search
fields and click the GO button alongside.
When the small map appears, click on the "Enlarge Map" icon on the
right-hand tab. A highly detailed map of the area will open in a new window,
showing the railway line skirting the eastern edge of the bog.

My Ordnance Survey Explorer map (Sheet 199) also shows the railway route,
identified as a 'Dismantled Railway'. The latest O/S Landranger map shows
this part of the former railway route is now a cycle-path.

Kind regards,

John