DYFED-L Archives

Archiver > DYFED > 2009-02 > 1233656663

From: "John Ball" <>
Subject: Re: [Dyfed] North of Tregaron along B4343
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:24:23 -0000

Venita Roylance <> wrote:
I love looking at the Google Maps of the places where my ancestors lived. I
particularly like using the satellite option because it
shows the lay of the land and the villages and farms. Today I was just
wandering, and I noticed somethind odd north of Tregaron. There are three
bigger-than-the-village areas that obviously have had some human interaction
of some kind, but I can't tell what. They aren't labeled, but they are
obvious as you get closer to the ground. Does anyone know what they are?
===============

Dear Venita,

Double-checking the area on Ordnance Survey Landranger and Explorer maps
shows that Jennifer is correct, the features on the satellite image are in
Cors Caron (Tregaron Bog).
Examine the area on a Landranger map on the Streetmaps website
(www.streetmap.co.uk). Select the 'Place' option, enter Tregaron into the
search field and click the GO button. When the map is displayed, scroll
northwards from Tregaron along the B4343 road.

I quote from an article on Cors Caron on the BBC website at
http://tinyurl.com/bfa3sy
-----------------
The bog itself was formed 12,000 years ago when the last of the Ice Age
glaciers melted away, leaving behind a large, shallow lake. Over time, the
lake filled with sediments and vegetation, forming peat and later, acid
peat.
For centuries, local people would go and cut this peat from the bog to burn
on the hearth. But there was mounting international concern that peat land
habitats like Tregaron were being destroyed so in 1955, Cors Caron was
declared a National Nature Reserve.

I suspect the markings on the satellite image may be the scars of old peat
workings.

Kind regards,

John