DUNCAN-L Archives

Archiver > DUNCAN > 2000-09 > 0968449123

From: "Mary Ann Dobson" <>
Subject: [DUNCAN] Benjamin and Abner Duncans
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:38:43 -0700

There were at least two pair of Benjamin and Abner Duncans in the early
1800's.

One of them was Abner Duncan, born 1772 NC, of Johnson Co. TN in 1850, wife
Sarah, who had a son Benjamin Duncan whose widow Rebecca lived in Lee Co. VA
in 1850.

Abner Duncan's wife was given as Sarah Beard in a posting by Sherry Cook on
the Duncan mailing list in 1996. Sherry Cook listed birthdates of their
children as given in "The Dugger Family" by Frances Rowan, but there is at
least one discrepancy. One of the women listed as a daughter of Abner
Duncan and Sarah Beard was Nancy Duncan, b. Dec. 22, 1808, married Jan. 29,
1833, Caswell C. Taylor. However, this Nancy Duncan, wife of Caswell
Taylor, was an heir of Jeremiah Duncan, named as such in Rhea Co. TN Will
Book A, pg.425, on 6 April 1840. There were other females given as children
of Abner Duncan and Sarah Beard, but of the 11 children listed, the only
sons were named as Thomas Duncan, b. 10 Oct. 1811, and Andrew J. Duncan, b.
6 March 1819, married on 6 Feb. 1842 Bathsheba Rasor, d. 14 Oct. 1864. No
original source was given for the list of children or the maiden name of
Abner's wife.

If Frances Rowan or Sherry Cook are on this list, PLEASE pitch in with more
information.

Abner Duncan's wife was given as a Miss Hatley in a letter dated Aug. 21,
1939, written by N.C. Duncan of Erwin, TN, to Mrs. Bonnie S. Ball of Toms
Creek, VA, in response to her inquiry of Dec. 1 1938 to Mrs. J.L. Duncan.