DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L Archives

Archiver > DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY > 1998-07 > 0899647903

From: <>
Subject: Re: Blackethouse
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:11:43 EDT

Hi,
Blackethouse, Crowdieknowe, Minsca etc are all still there, I have been there.
The tower of Blackethouse stands since 1459 and by Wm. Bell. Wm. Bell of
Blackethouse was Called "Redcloak" he is described as "Chief of the Bells"
1578-1623 he had two sons John of Blackethouse and Thomas of Dunabie,
John Bell of Blackethouse marr. Jean Irving d.o Wm, Irving of Kirkconnel
Wm. Bell of Hotts was the eldest son of John Bell of Cushethill (part of
Blackethouse) marr.Sibella Bell they had 3 sons. John bap. 23 Dec 1744,
Wm. bap. 31 Jan 1748, Thomas bap. 21 Jan 1750 Son Wm. marr. Janet Beattie
their daughter Mary b. 1751 marr. Peter Bell of Minsca (my direct line) They
are both
burr. at carruthers Cem. where many Bells are.
Francis Bell of Satur was the sixth son of Wm. of Albie he died 1700 age 48
yrs and survieved by Janet beattie his spouse who died 25 Dec. 1715, two
child.
Wm. who marr. Jean Bell, Child: Mary, lived to age 6, Francis d. 11 Jul 1717
9days,
Sarah Bell spouse of Francis Carlyle of Middlebietown, and Jean Bell. spouse
of
John Carlyle writer in "Pennersaughts and "Satur" I know it all gets very
confusing.
Plaease E-mail me if you can
I am very interested in your info. I have been to all the homes of the "Bells"
in Middlebie and surrounding area's. I don't know if you know this but Joseph
Bell
a descendent of Blackthouse, was a Dr. of Medicine that tought at Edingburgh
Un.
One of his students was Aruther Conan Doyle, who used Joseph Bell his mentor
to style Sherlock Holms after.
Brenda
E-Mail

This thread: