DOUGLAS-L Archives

Archiver > DOUGLAS > 2001-03 > 0985393014

From: "Edward F. Douglass" <>
Subject: [DOUGLAS] Re: Robert Douglas born 1588 - REPLY, AGAIN
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:16:54 -0600

Carolyn,

Since sending you the message below, I have gotten an indication from
someone in the UK that William DOUGLAS (b. 1610) "appears" to have been
born in Castle Douglas in Scotland. This would suggest that perhaps his
father, Robert (b. 8 June 1588), was also from Scotland, rather than from
Ringstead, Northamptonshire.

Does any of this new information make a better fit with what you've got?

Ed

Carolyn,

I have only fragmentary information in answer to your query. The sources I
have found indicate the following.

Robert DOUGLAS was born 8 June 1588 in Ringstead, England. He married
Nicolace JOHNSTON. She was born in 1592 at Castle Douglas, Kirkudbright,
Scotland.

I show only one son, William, born 9 August 1610 in Ringstead. He died 26
July 1662 in New London, CT. He married Ann MATTLE who was born 1610 in
Ringstead and died 16 September 1691 in New London, CT. I find it unusual
that there was only one child.

Rober't father was a William DOUGLAS. I have his wife's name as Janet
DOUGLAS. Whether she was a DOUGLAS or that her married name, only, was
recorded, I don't know. Again, I find it unusual that Robert and Janet had
only one child. Could it be that Robert was the only son that came to
America and that genealogists on this side of the Atlantic have picked up
only on Robert and not found his siblings in England? I have no other
information on Robert or Janet, but would like to know more.

I have names, dates, and locations for all the male descendants of Robert
Douglas down to me. In addition, I have quite a bit of information about
the later branches of the tree.

Let me know how much additional information you would like and the format
in which you would like to receive it.
I am always happy to share.

Best regards,

Ed Douglass