DOUGLAS-L Archives

Archiver > DOUGLAS > 1998-06 > 0897536492

From: Mary Ann Hanson <>
Subject: Re: Re: Newspaper gleanings from Jan Douglass Toms
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:41:32 -0700

Hi Kay,

(Kay is also a Gordon. So am I. We corresponded about that off-list.)

At 01:15 AM 6/10/98 -0700, Kay Martin wrote:

<excerpt>Louise Douglas Hudspeth wrote:

>Note: One of the daughters of our William Douglass in Polk Co, MO,

married

>James McCracken. It is interesting that there were McCrackens in

Lancaster, PA,

>the county from which William's father Alexander came to KY and MO.

I have been interested in this William Douglass because my
husband's

GGs, Robert M. Douglass and Sarah Barnes married in Polk Co.. His
wife's

obituary tells a little about the family. This from Missouri Misc., Vol

13, "St. Louis Christian Advocate", pg. 59:

"30, June 1859

Douglass, Mrs. Frances, died in Polk Co in the 71st year of her age.

Sister D was b in S.C, 26 Jan 1788. She removed with her parents,

Reuben and

Joanna Hattan, to the state of KY, thence to St. Louis, MO, where she

was united in marriage to William Douglass; thence to Boone Co., where

they lived many years; afterwards, to the vicinity of Bolivar, where
she

died in great peace, on 18 May, ult.

It is gratifying to know that her children are all in the Church...

their good mother has gone before them, to join her husband, and their

father. -T F Ashby, Bolivar." [snip]

I hope this helps someone.

Kay

</excerpt>

I know this Douglass family was in Polk County because that's where my
Gordon's were and I kept tripping over them in the records! Noah Gorden
(not a typo) died and was buried in Bolivar, too. His granddaughter,
America Ann Williamson, married James Ratliff Douglass in Petersburg,
Menard Co. IL. What intrigues me most about Kay's post is that Robert M.
Douglass married Sarah Barnes. I have connections between the Barnes and
Gordens back in Washington Co., KY. I know some Jeffries and Dowells
(McDowells) and Tyrees/Tireys emigrated from Washington County to Polk
County. Did the Barnes, too? Noah's sister Dorcas b. c. 1772 VA married
a Barnes. I sure'd like to know more about this!

Yours aye,

Mary Ann Hanson

This thread: