DOUGLAS-L Archives

Archiver > DOUGLAS > 1998-06 > 0897446782

From: Kay Martin <>
Subject: Re: Newspaper gleanings from Jan Douglass Toms
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 21:46:22 -0500

Louise Douglas Hudspeth wrote:

>Note: One of the daughters of our William Douglass in Polk Co, MO,
married
>James McCracken. It is interesting that there were McCrackens in
Lancaster, PA,
>the county from which William's father Alexander came to KY and MO.

I have been interested in this William Douglass because my husband's
GGs, Robert M. Douglass and Sarah Barnes married in Polk Co.. His wife's
obituary tells a little about the family. This from Missouri Misc., Vol
13, "St. Louis Christian Advocate", pg. 59:

"30, June 1859
Douglass, Mrs. Frances, died in Polk Co in the 71st year of her age.
Sister D was b in S.C, 26 Jan 1788. She removed with her parents,
Reuben and
Joanna Hattan, to the state of KY, thence to St. Louis, MO, where she
was united in marriage to William Douglass; thence to Boone Co., where
they lived many years; afterwards, to the vicinity of Bolivar, where she
died in great peace, on 18 May, ult.
It is gratifying to know that her children are all in the Church...
their good mother has gone before them, to join her husband, and their
father. -T F Ashby, Bolivar."

Polk Co., MO Douglass marriages include:
Emila H. - Saml. Wilson 14 Oct 1843
Ann - James McCracken 10 Sept 1844
Joanner R. - John L. Holt 16 Dec 1847
Isabella H. - John Leachman 7 Feb 1849

Then the 1850 for Polk Co., MO includes:

668
Leachman, John 44 NC - living next door to Frances Douglass
Isabella 28 or 23 MO
Susannah E. 8/12 MO
Susannah 72 VA
By 1860 John was alone with daughter Susan...)

597
McCracken, James 38 TN (Not in Polk 1860)
Ann B. 28 MO (she d. 9 Aug 1890, bur. Greenwood
Cem.)
William 2 MO
Albert 1 MO
Grose, Nancy 23 MO

883
Wilson, Samuel 36 TN (15 Mar 1814 - 1 Mar 1896 Bolivar City
Cem.)
Amelia 26 MO (12 Nov 1822 - 4 June 1904 Bolivar
City Cem.)
Francis A. 4 MO
Isabella R. 2 MO
Ann E. 3/12 MO