DOOLEY-L Archives

Archiver > DOOLEY > 2004-06 > 1086962910

From: "Quartense" <>
Subject: Re: [DOOLEY] From The Atlanta Constitution 1900 Dooly - Dula
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:08:30 -0400

Is this your family?
3. THOMAS3 DOOLEY (THOMAS (DOOLEY)2 DULA, ROBERT1 DOWLING) was born WFT
Est. 1714-1759 in VA, and died Bet. 1782 - 1859 in Georgia. He married LUCY
WEBB April 13, 1779 in Henry County , VA, daughter of MERRY WEBB and
ELIZABETH ?. She was born 1727, and died Bet. 1783 - 1822 in Georgia.

Notes for THOMAS DOOLEY:

Moved to Habershaw County, GA.

Child of THOMAS DOOLEY and LUCY WEBB is:

i. JESSE B.4 DOOLEY, b. Abt. 1775, VA; d. Georgia.

4. MARGARET3 DULA (THOMAS (DOOLEY)2, ROBERT1 DOWLING) was born in VA. She
married JOHN RAINS January 14, 1785 in Rockingham County, VA. He was born
Abt. 1756 in Rockingham County, VA, and died September 07, 1847 in Kanawha
County, VA.

Child of MARGARET DULA and JOHN RAINS is:

i. MARY "POLLY"4 RAINS, b. Abt. 1800.

5. CAPTAIN WILLIAM C. (CAPTAIN)3 DULA (THOMAS (DOOLEY)2, ROBERT1 DOWLING)
was born March 17, 1756 in Virginia, and died January 16, 1835 in Wilkes
County, N.C.. He married THEODOSIA BEASLEY April 05, 1790 in Wilkes County,
N.C., daughter of JAMES BEASLEY and ANNE REYNOLDS. She was born May 1755 in
VA, and died June 16, 1844 in Caldwell County, N.C..

Notes for CAPTAIN WILLIAM C. (CAPTAIN) DULA:

William eloped with Mrs. Theodosia Beasley McMullin. After 4 children were
born to them they were married. In the American Revolution he served under
Captain Hopkins, Captain Laird, and Captain Jeremiah Beasley, brother of
Theodosia.

He fought the British in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and
probably other places.

He is buried in the family graveyard on Dula Hill. The obituary on his
tombstone is as follows:

"In memory of Captain William Dula--born September 1755, died January 16,
1835. Captain Dula was a patriot and soldier in the Revolution and served
in more than one engagement in the War for American Independence. He was a
kind husband and father, ever ready to extend charity to the poor and much
esteemed by those who knew him."

In 1840, the part of Wilkes County where the Dulas lived, became
Caldwell County.

Notes for THEODOSIA BEASLEY:

In 1781, eloped with William C. Dula.

Children of WILLIAM DULA and THEODOSIA BEASLEY are:

11. i. ELIZABETH BETSY4 DULA, b. July 12, 1781, Henry County,
VA; d. September 16, 1864, Caldwell County , N.C..

12. ii. THOMAS BEASLEY (CAPTAIN) DULA, b. 1782, VA; d. September
30, 1829, Wilkes Co., NC.

13. iii. ANN NANCY DULA, b. 1785, Henry County, VA; d. May 21,
1856, Wilkes County, N.C..

14. iv. WILLIAM BEASLEY BUCK DULA, b. 1788, VA; d. November 06,
1856, NC.

15. v. MILDRED AMELIA DULA, b. January 08, 1792, Wilkes County,
N.C.; d. September 12, 1869, Caldwell County, N.C..

16. vi. SARAH "SALLIE" DULA, b. April 29, 1795, Wilkes County,
N.C.; d. April 11, 1884, CAldwell County, N.C..

vii. WILLIAM S. DULA, b. 1797.

6. JOHN3 DULA (THOMAS (DOOLEY)2, ROBERT1 DOWLING) was born 1760 in VA, and
died 1846 in NC. He married (1) UNKNOWN Bef. 1807. He married (2)
SUSANNAH ALLISON Abt. 1807 in Wilkes County, N.C., daughter of WILLIAM
ALLISON and LUCY LUCINDATHOMPSON. She was born 1759 in Wilkes County, N.C.,
and died WFT Est. 1813-1859 in NC.

Notes for JOHN DULA:

John married Mrs. Susanna Allison Brown. His widow spent her last years in
the home of his niece, Mrs. Milly Dula Horton, widow of General William
Horton.

John Dula was a wild young man, and though he became more settled after
marriage, his sons seem to have been equally wild, their eventual fates
unknown.

Children of JOHN DULA and SUSANNAH ALLISON are:

i. THOMAS4 DULA, b. Abt. 1804, Wilkes County, N.C.; m.
ELIZABETH FOSTER, November 20, 1823; b. Abt. 1807, Wilkes County, N.C..

Notes for THOMAS DULA:

Thomas Dula and Elizabeth Foster were first cousins.

ii. BENNETT DULA, b. Abt. 1806, Wilkes County, N.C..

Notes for BENNETT DULA:

Went to Tenn. in the late 1820's. Arrested for the murder of Mr. William
Patton. On October 14, 1834, he was in the Jasper jail awaiting trial.
Results not known. (Echoes of Happy Valley, 1962, Thomas Felix Hickerson)

17. iii. ALFRED DULA, b. Abt. 1808, Wilkes County, N.C.; d. Iowa.

7. JUDITH3 DULA (THOMAS (DOOLEY)2, ROBERT1 DOWLING) was born Abt. 1762 in
Orange County, VA, and died 1809 in Wilkes Co. N.C.. She married THOMAS
HALL Abt. 1779, son of SAMUEL HALL and MILLIAN WEBB. He was born 1755 in
Pittlsylvania (now Henry) County, VA, and died Abt. 1831 in Wilkes Co. N.C..

Child of JUDITH DULA and THOMAS HALL is:

i. WILLIAM DULA4 HALL, b. Abt. 1788; d. Georgia; m.
REBECCA MCKINNEY, December 30, 1801; d. Georgia.

Notes for WILLIAM DULA HALL:

William Dula Hall was raised by Captain William Dula. He was a natural son
of one of the Dula women, probably Judith, or one unknown. He moved to
Elbert County, Georgia shortly after marrying.

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 8:56 AM

> Can you believe it? They were even working on the Dooly - Dula puzzle over
> hundred years ago!!!
>
> The Atlanta Constitution (Atlanta, Georgia)
> May 13, 1900
>
> Genealogical, Historical Department
>
> 32 Dooly -- Have you found any record of a William Dula or Dooly? He had
> son named Thomas *Bearley Dula or Dooly, said to have lived in Wilkes Co.
North
> Carolina. T. B. Dula married in Wilkes County, North Carolina, a daughter
of
> William Hume about 1806. There were Dooleys in Wilkes County, Ga. John
Dooly,