DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

Archiver > DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES > 2007-05 > 1180675305

From: Melanie <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Kopf Ancesrty - Keglewichhausen
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <00fb01c7a3b8$a5480920$0300a8c0@NewVaio>

John,

Would you mind researching further to see what you can come up with? I would greatly appreciate it.

Melanie

John Kornfeind <> wrote:
Dear Melanie,

I do not know whether you were able to establish any relationship of your ancestor to the community of Keglewichhausen. http://www.dvhh.org/keglewit/
If you go to the site which I have created you will be able to see all the spelling variations that have been used for the community name. You should be able to compare some of these to the Ellis Island Records and see if they come close.

I do have a Chronik for the village. In looking for the name Kopf, I do not see the specific spelling of the name in any of the listings for Keglewichhausen. IN the 1940's there were a number of households in which the family name was Kopp. If you wish me to research something further please let me know.

Best wishes with your search,

John J. Kornfeind - Keglewichhausen Village Coordinator
Glendale, AZ

From: Mercydorf
To: Susan Williams ; Melanie ; Donauschwaben villages ; John Kornfeind
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Kopf Ancesrty - Keglewichhausen

Keglewichhausen, John Kornfeind is the Village Coordinator:

Jody

From: Susan Williams
To: Melanie ; Donauschwaben villages
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Kopf Ancesrty

Hmmm .... Dave must have missed this one.
Check out Ellis Island www.ellisislandrecords.org

I found a Johann Kopf, age 49, arriving with his family on May 5, 1911 -
his family included a son Nicholas. (I found the entry by putting in Kopf and just reading down until I came to Nicolaus - can even remember now how the name was spelled. Johann lists his town of origin as Kegle Hungary -- there is something after Kegle but I'm having trouble reading it. The clue is that he left his brother, Nicolaus Kopf in Temesvar, Hungary. Another clue is that he was going to his son-in-law Mathias Metzger (guessing at the spelling). I think they were going to Ohio.

This might be your Nicolaus -- trouble is Temesvar is difficult to resesearch but I would search for the town of Kegle --now there is town named Keglewitschhausen -- maybe the clerk at Ellis Island wrote the short version for the town.

I know there are people on the list with ancestors from this town -- maybe they can give you their experience on this.

Take a look at the ellisisland records at www.ellisislandrecords.org
and let me know what you think. You must register to read the records but it is free. Good luck. Susan
From: Melanie
To: Susan Williams ; Donauschwaben villages
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Kopf Ancesrty

Susan
First I want to THANK YOU for getting back to me so quickly. Yes my great grandfather was born 1888 sorry about the mistype.

Ok here is where I have checked. I have check the census records. I have access to them thanks to a lady I know in NY who gave me her library card to use.

My great grandfather Nicholas Kopf made his home in Trenton New Jersey. I have this information from my father's cousin who is still living and who has also provided me with copies of the headstones for Nicholas, Johan and Barbara. If there is anything else you need please let me know.

Melanie

Susan Williams <> wrote:
Hi Melanie,

Welcome to the list.

Let's see - your great grandfather was Nicolas Kopf born Nov 11, 1888 - I
think you wrote 1988 -- but 1888 makes more sense.
I have a few questions -- I did find some Kopf's in Dave Dreyer's manifest
list ... but no Nicholas.

Did Nicholas Kopf come to America? Where did he settle in America?
I have access to census records, etc. so I could do a look up for you.

Have you found any other documentation for Nicholas or Johann?
Any census records or birth records for children?

Let's see if I have it correct.
Nicholas Kopf b. 1888 married to Frances Ruff
Johann Kopf b. 1860 married to Barbara Matzer b. 1865
Nicolas Kopf b. about ? maybe about 1840 if this is the father of the above
Johann ... married to Veronica

Get back to us and we can give it a try. Susan
From: "Melanie"
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:51 PM
Subject: [DVHH] Kopf Ancesrty

> Hi! I am new to the list and just figured out how to send an email to the
> list. I have come to a stopping point in my geneological research because
> i cannot find any other leads. I wonder if someone would be so kind as to
> possibly be able to help me in any way. my great grandfather was Nicholas
> Kopf born November 11, 1988. Before my grandmothers passing she said he
> was born in Hungary but due to dimentia she couldnt remember where. He
> was married to Frances Ruff also born in Hungary. Her parents are unknown
> to me. My great grandfather's father was John or Johan Kopf also born in
> Hungary. His birthdate was April 18, 1860. He was married to Barbara
> Matzer also born in Hungary on April 13, 1865. I have only last names
> for Barbara's parents. Mother's maiden name was Gaug according to the
> copy of the death certificate i have. Now John or Johan's(the spelling
> was changed) father was also Nicholas Kopf(if i remember correctly
> children were named after family members)
> anyway Nicholas was also born in Hungary. I dont think he ever came to
> the United States. Nicholas' wife was Veronica...maiden name unknown...
> I hope I have given enough information for someone to help me so to send
> in in the correct direction. I would like to thank anyone who may be
> able to help.
> Melanie Stinson
> ---------------------------------
> Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!
> *****
> "Reply-All" to the DVHH list and give a thank you to the one who provided
> information for you. The acknowledgement is appreciated and offers hope
> to others who are searching for clues to the lives of their ancestors.
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.

*****
"Reply-All" to the DVHH list and give a thank you to the one who provided information for you. The acknowledgement is appreciated and offers hope to others who are searching for clues to the lives of their ancestors.

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
---------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.3/824 - Release Date: 5/29/2007 1:01 PM

---------------------------------
Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.