DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: "Mercydorf" <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] BAUTZ KIRSCHNER TIMISOARA KOVACSI
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:29:43 -0400

Hi Linda,

I'm not aware if a Temeschburg Family book exist. Genealogical research in Temeswar/Temesvar/Temeschburg is very difficult, because the town had 6 quarters (what I call suburbs) Fabrikstadt, Elisabetstadt, Josefstadt, Franzstadt, Fratelia, Freidorf; and each quarter had their own Roman Catholic parish. And keep in mind, in 1900 there were nearly 60,000 inhabitants. With Temeschburg being the largest town in Banat, it was like a metropolitan city for transitional residents. Although there were many families who were rooted there for over a hundred years, there were also many people moving around each year. To give you an idea how difficult it is to research in the Temeswar area, consider the following example I received and posted on the Fratelia site.

The Church Book of Fratelia is beginning about 1932, the entries before then were made in Elisabethin / Elisabetstadt, there they started in 1919, and the years before 1919, the habitants of Fratelia had to go to Freidorf, but a lot of them didn't want to because the way was longer to travel than to go to Josefin. The informant goes on to say, "That was perhaps the reason, why I now found the birth of my grandmother and her siblings in Josefin / Josefstadt (from 1895 to 1905), although the birth certificate said, they lived in Tesöld (Fratelia). But with this new knowledge I luckily found the baptism of my father (born in 1917 in Fratelia) in Freidorf! I also was searching for a very long time to find the death record of my grandmother and found her in the index of Freidorf!" [A.Lorenz -17 Jul 2006]

This same scenario could pertain to any of the suburbs of Temeswar.....
Jody