DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: "Laura Moegenburg" <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Donauschwaben families to Wisconsin
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:05:15 -0600

My father came to the U.S. in 1946 after being exiled from Klek, Banat,
Yugoslavia by Tito.

His father had originally traveled to Chicago in 1910 to work and returned
to Klek in the 1930's to take a bride, have a family and buy a farm. After
WWII, the entire family, including my dad, traveled to Banat, Michigan to
start a farm. My father, who was 14 at the time, shared with me that it was
some of the worst farm land he had ever seen. He told his father that he
was leaving to go the Green Bay region where he heard there was better farm
land. He did and that's where the rest of the family stayed.

The reason they traveled to Banat, Michigan was their grandfather had
settled there around 1911.

Milwaukee Wisconsin is known for its German heritage. Not sure how it
started.

Laura Beno Moegenburg