DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: Dan Drew <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Movement from Jaromer in Bohemia to Alsace region circa1750
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:24:44 -0500

Susan,

I am certainly no expert historian; but I have thought a lot about your
question; and I think the answer (at least one answer) can be obtained
by taking a step backward and recalling "how the times were" between
1700 and 1800:

It was the "age of Imperialism" ...also called the "age of
colonization." In other words, a time during which all the major
monarchies of Europe were eagerly engaged in the process of "expanding
their empires" and their economic and political influence throughout
the world. Every American has read of the endeavors of King George and
his predecessors to colonize America. The Kings of France and Spain
and Portugal were doing the same thing in the Americas.... and, in
fact, even in Africa and the Orient. Maria Theresia and her
predecessors were simply doing the same thing... only EASTWARD... in a
vigorous attempt to expand the economic and political clout of their
Austrio-Hungarian Empire.

All kinds of incentives were offered from what I understand. Land
ownership was probably the most powerful; but there were also tax
breaks, waiver of military obligations, and many other incentives...
which others can (and have) recited better than I could. Although
those "times were tough" for the peasant class in those days, I don't
think we should assume that something terrible must have happened in
every case where a person or family decided to volunteer to be
colonists In fact, I would rather believe that, in most cases, during
those times, the decision was motivated by a general "spirit of
adventure" along with the element that Nick pointed out... a general
wish to improve one's lot in life. In fact, I think, that the idea or
"spirit" of the adventure of being a colonist was, in those days, a
much admired thing among those who were not land owners or titled. In
fact, I'd assume that those who "left to settle the colonies" were
probably much admired and missed by those who (being more timid) stayed
behind.

These are just some ideas and perspectives I've "thought up" while
thinking and reading about the whole question of why the DS migrated in
the first place. Sooner or later, all the "Empires" collapsed, as did
most of the monarchies. The issue of why the whole Hapsburg plan "blew
up" and turned disastrous during the first half of the 20th century is,
of course, an entirely different matter... and a very tragic one with
many "lessons to be learned." I will leave it at that so as not to
open the contemporary cans of worms called "assimilation" and
"multiculturalism."

Dan