DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-04 > 1334573906

From: Malcolm McClure <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Surname Sample
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:58:26 +0100

Sandy

I think that Carey was a different tribe from McClare that was possibly indigenous to the Fair Head area of north Antrim.
I knew a Lamont family from south Tyrone but think the name originated in the Cowal peninsula south of Holy Loch. The earliest 1295 form was Laumanus, son of Malcolm and grandson of Duncan McFercher. Skene says the clan seems to have taken the name of MacLaman or Lamond having previously borne the name of Macerachar, and Clan Mhic Earachar. According to Nisbet the clan Lamond was originally from Ireland so any map suggests that a Carey link is possible.
Besides McAleer,there are indications that McCleery was also a west Tyrone name and possible synonym of the other.
This is he kind of nitty-gitty we all need to understand if we want to make sense of yDNA links.

Malcolm