DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-04 > 1334528640

Subject: [R-M222] Surname Sample
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:24:00 -0400 (EDT)

Malcolm, have you done much research in Ayrshire, where the McClure surname
first appears?

Alan

writes:

McCune's 1966 list of Scotch-irish Ancestors is interesting and in
reasonable accord with my own interpretation of their origins. I would reserve
judgement on whether all those surnames were indigenous the Galloway area for
centuries before the 1700s. Some of the names have a distinctly Irish
identity and several others could also be construed as originating in North
Ireland. There has been travel between Ireland an Galloway for many millennia,
although of course the use of surnames goes back only a thousand years or
less.

I have selected some candidate names with seeming Irish affinities from
McCune's list for discussion:
Possible Irish Migrants to Galloway?

Adair

Baird, Beattie

Campbell, Cannon, Carrick, Clark, Cormack, Cunningham

Dun, Dunbar, Duncan

Gilchrist, Gillespie, Gillmour,

Kennedy, Kilpatrick, Kyle

McAdam, McBride, McCall

McClanachan, McClelland, McClure

McConnel, McCormick, McCrae, McCulloch

McGhie, McGill, McGowen

McKelvie, McKenna

McNab, McTaggart

Martin, Milligan, Mulroy

Tait, Tagart

Susan has said

" I'm not certain for myself in regard to M222 that surname is one of
the criteria that I would use to look at the clade. I would rather see
a nearly blind study where the surnames were kept separate from the
study until that data had been analyzed and the information ready to
assemble with the names then matched up to the numbers assigned to each
result. That would be a more honest approach, and likely would be more
revealing than if surnames were a consideration from the beginning. But
that is simply an opinion."

I think there could be merit in a wider debate about the structure of a 37
marker study of say, 1000 males.
We are seeking convergence of M222 clades at some undefinable point in the
distant past.
If we select the blind 1000 sample from names that have a stable history
in the "source " area it seems we would be more likely to distinguish
branches than twigs.
It might well be that the branches pointed to early migration of distinct
populations to the common area, with the common M222 ancestor much father
back in time. However I think we need to restrict the sampling method to
that possibility before attempting to extract time estimates from a mish-mash
of anonymous randomised data, albeit currently indigenous to Galloway.

If we can develop a clearcut rationale to justify our objectives, it will
be much easier to gather support for the necessary expenditure.

Malcolm.

This thread: