DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-04 > 1334397154

From: Malcolm McClure <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Surname Sampling
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:52:34 +0100

Ailene

It is worth considering whether the roots of the McAdam family extend back not to some eponymous Adam, but to Adomnán, late 7th Century hagiographer of Columcille. Adomnán like St Columcille (Columba) was another member of the branch of the Donegal Cinel Conall family that is mostly associated with Iona, and this could have given rise to the adoption of his name by highland tribes who converted to Christianity.

Just a thought.

Malcolm