DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-02 > 1329347388

From: J David Grierson <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] WHAT MODALS CANNOT PROVIDE
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:11:59 +1100

Susan,
Don't forget DF23. We now have a few DF23+ M222- results, and when we
get more (hopefully a lot more), we'll have a better idea of the
beginning haplotype for M222; that is, its real "modal". Then we'll be
able to see what mutations have occurred since then (ie, patterns
off-modal to DF23), which could help us with the age, and it might also
help us with distribution.
David

On 16/02/2012 5:08 AM, Susan Hedeen wrote:
> At the present time, I think not. A clade modal represents the allele
> values of the majority of results as identified consistent with the SNP.
> The majority of tested results are going to reveal only slight
> variations from the footprint so to speak not to be confused with
> individual lineages which invariable show mutation events which depart
> from the specified modal or foot print.
>
> In older or up-stream sub-clades of R1b, let's say L21+ for instance
> down stream SNPs have (M222 being among them and perhaps the youngest
> identified) similarly been identified by mutations of certain alleles
> which are expressed similarly in certain lineages. M222+ currently has
> not produced any down stream SNP. As testing continues and results
> accumulate one may eventually be found, but to date none have. Susan
>
> On 2/15/2012 12:29 PM, Christopher Carr wrote:
>> Would there be value in re-calculating the modal based on current
>> results? Would this take in to account results from closely-related
>> individuals or heavily-represented surnames?

This thread: