DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-01 > 1326014163

From: J David Grierson <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Dohertys in M222 table
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:17:11 +1100

Bob,
I have not examined the Doherty project (perhaps I should), so I may be
way off beam here, but................

Do not rely on the FT genetic distance standards when trying to
establish relationships. They date from the beginning of the enquiry
into YDNA, and grew out of the notion that haplotypes rule. That is no
longer the accepted state of play. We now recognise that variables in
mutation rates can lead one astray using that methodology. The game now
(outside of the common or garden NW Irish) is Haplogroups and off-modal
markers.

An example:
In three Griersons tested to 111 markers, all carry 8 off-modal markers,
and two have another. All carry a rare count on a particular marker, and
given the combination of off-modals, there is no doubt that they descend
from the same man, about 600 years ago. Using A (me) as a base line, B
has a GD of 11/111, or 8/67, and C has a GD of 15/111, or 9/67. B and C
have a GD of 13/111, or 9/67. FTDNA shows no relationship at all between
these men, but they are unquestionably related within the time of surnames.

Indeed, using this methodology, we can deduce a fairly reliable modal
for the MRCA, and when we compare that haplotype with the M222 norm (I
hesitate to call it the base modal) which presumably hasn't changed
since the MRCA for the Irish model (as distinct from the Scots model),
we get an M222 CA for the two lines that predates Niall by quite a
stretch when one takes the tolerances into account.

So, if the Dohertys are tightly held within the NW Irish model, GD has a
part to play, particularly in finding families within the cohort. But I
believe you should be looking also at the off-modal similarities when
trying to identify relationships.
David Grierson