DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-01 > 1326009351

From: "Bob Doherty" <>
Subject: [R-M222] Dohertys in M222 table
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 23:55:51 -0800

I have noticed a lot of messages referring to the Doherty Y-DNA markers
recently. So I thought I would join in since I have been working with
others on the Doherty Surname Project.

There are 155 Y-DNA participants in the Doherty Surname Project. Half of
the 155, or 77, are not related per FTDNA standards (based on genetic
distance depending on the number of markers tested). When I say not
related, I mean they do not match up with the Doherty Modal (or base
haplotype) - i.e. genetic distance greater than 7 at the at the 67 marker
level.

Of the 77 participants who do not 'relate' to the Doherty modal, all but 13
have a Doherty (or variant) surname. Of the 78 participants who do relate
to the Doherty modal, 9 do not have a Doherty surname (NPEs, adoptions,
etc?). So the surname project participant pool is a mixed bag of markers.
I think the discussion about the "purity of y-chromosomes in clanns" in
Digest Vol 6. Issue 3 (and earlier) supports that even those with
significantly different Y-DNA markers can be members of a clan, but not
directly related by descent from the founding male of the clan. I remember
a discussion at one of the O'Dochartaigh reunions in Buncranna about the 7
races (branches?) of Doherty's.

I have been trying to follow along with what members of the M222 discussion
group are trying to achieve regarding TMRCA. So I took a look at the M222
table just before the new one was posted and noticed the following:

In the M222 table there are 55 Doherty, O'Dogherty, Daugherty, Dougherty,
Doritty, Docherty (all valid variations of Ui Dochartaigh). However 14 of
the 55 fall into the 'not related' group (genetic distance greater than
FTDNA standard). At the same time there are 26 Doherty project participants
who should be in the M222 data set, but are not.

Is it worth the effort to update the M222 data to reflect a more defined set
of participants who line up with the Doherty modal? If you want to make
that happen, let me know who I have to work with.

Bob Doherty

Doherty Surname Project Co-Administrator

This thread: