DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-01 > 1325749961

From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] analysis
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 07:52:41 -0000

Hi Bernard

[I like the idea of eliminating the questionable mutation rate by using it
in both calculations and then comparing the results. My base halpotype for
the O'Doherty and O'Cain had a GD of 2 out of 25 markers, hence offering the
possibilty if surname ancestral bases are identitied for multiple families
the process can be repeated again pushing back to the M222 ancestral base.]

That's what I found interesting in Anatole's work when I had a look at it
about 3 years ago. I even subscribed to the Russian journal he contributes
to.

I lost interest when I found after some pretty robust testing against
populations of simulated haplotypes (and therefore populations whose 'ages'
are known), that when the two methods of estimation provide roughly the same
answer, it is no more accurate than when the answers obtained are
dissimilar.

Sandy