DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-01 > 1325733622

From: Bernard Morgan <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] analysis
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 03:20:22 +0000

I gave it a try - the O'Doherty and O'Cain are somewhat near at around 40 (plus & minus 4 years) generation each, my attempt with 13 MacLoughlins results lead to conflicting values of 31 & 50.

Ewing and Cowan are somewhat possible, maybe around 20 generation. Certainly the common ancestor was not as old as the O'Doherty and O'Cain.

I like the idea of eliminating the questionable mutation rate by using it in both calculations and then comparing the results. My base halpotype for the O'Doherty and O'Cain had a GD of 2 out of 25 markers, hence offering the possibilty if surname ancestral bases are identitied for multiple families the process can be repeated again pushing back to the M222 ancestral base.

> Anotole did present a method to confirm whether a cluster shared a genuine
> common ancestor but no - it hasn't been tried by one anyone on any results
> from the M222 project. One of us has to learn how to do it first.

This thread: