DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2012-01 > 1325709993

From: Bernard Morgan <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] analysis
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:46:33 +0000

> From reading this I assume that if you compare two different clusters of
> people and you're not absolutely sure they have a common ancestor than you
> might be creating a phantom. That would apply to sub-clusters within M222.

Further on he presents a method to confirm a share common ancestor by comparing results from using the Poisson distribution of member's halpotype and a linear mutation method. They should come up with approximately the same number of generation.

Has this approach been applied for the populous surname projects - MacLoughlin, O'Docherty etc. ?

I understand that maximium halpotype is about 25 markers for the Poisson distribution, for we are looking for a common ancestor at around 30 generations.

If we get enough family ancestral bases then maybe we could then repeat the exerise and define an ancestral base for M222+ and date it.

This thread: