DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-12 > 1324720157

From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: [R-M222] DF23 ID
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:49:17 -0000
References: <26f5c.379e0367.3c257de5@aol.com> <000101ccc157$0c076af0$241640d0$@com> <4EF51D0E.2090803@melbpc.org.au><000001ccc215$64f9b550$2eed1ff0$@com>
In-Reply-To: <000001ccc215$64f9b550$2eed1ff0$@com>

David,

I can't find an rs code, but I found this

Y-position (NCBI36) 16283803
Y-position (BRCh37) 17774409

with a change of G to A.

I don't know whether that helps.

Sandy

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Sandy Paterson
Sent: 24 December 2011 08:24
To: ;
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ulster

Hi David

[Can you identify the appropriate alternative ID for DS23 for me?]

Not off-hand. I'll scratch around.

Sandy

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of J David Grierson
Sent: 24 December 2011 00:30
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ulster

Sandy,
I have been sequenced by 23and Me, but haven't been able to draw much
from the results (although they do confirm M222 - rs20321, of course).
I have also paid FT for a DF23 test, but don't expect a result for some
time.
Can you identify the appropriate alternative ID for DS23 for me?

David Grierson

On 23/12/2011 8:41 PM, Sandy Paterson wrote:
> By way of clarification, Sandy does NOT estimate that the M222 mutation
> occurred 50 generations back.
> My estimate is much closer to 40 generations back, and the phrase
"...highly
> unlikely to be more than 50 generations.." was used simply because of the
> relatively wide confidence intervals characteristic of TMRCA estimations.
> On the question of the origins of M222, I must say I'm far more optimistic
> than John is about being able to narrow down the search. Think of this:
> 1.Jay Flatley, CEO of Illumina is M222+. His full genome has been
sequenced
> and placed in the public domain.
> 2.An anonymous participant in the 1000 genomes project identified the DF23
> mutation in both his own DNA and in that of Flatley.
> 3.Fifteen markers have been published for the anonymous 1000 Genomes
> researcher.
> 4.Lamont 203128 matches these 14/15 and has been tested positive for DF23.
> Now I seriously doubt whether the anonymous researcher has stopped his
> research. If I'm right, it means that someone is actively trying to link
> DF23+ with M222+, by searching for SNP's that lie between DF23 and M222. I
> know that doesn't guarantee success, but I think it provides cause for
> optimism (or, at least, hope).
> On the question of gaining a better understanding of M222+, I believe
> everyone (including me) has been approaching the riddle in the wrong way.
> Speaking for myself now (but I think a number of people have tried this),
> I've spent probably close to a 50 hours carefully gathering M222+
haplotypes
> and trying to establish sub-clades by grouping off-modal matches. That's
one
> approach, but it hasn't exactly produced the goods.
> A far better approach, I think, is to remind ourselves that DNA on its own
> cannot prove anything. But it can, and does, from time to time, disprove
> certain possibilities.
> So.
> Niall had sons Eoghan, Enda and Conail Gulban. Niall is believed to have
> died around 407AD. The Daughertys are Cenel Conail. I don't think anyone
> disputes this. So the Cenel Eoghan, and the Cenel Conail have a most
recent
> common ancestor in Niall, who lived around 350-407AD. That means the
common
> ancestor of the Cenel Conail and the Cenel Eoghan lived around 1631 years
> bp, or 54 generations back.
> I think that's a good starting point.
> Sandy
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> [mailto:] On Behalf Of
> Sent: 23 December 2011 06:47
> Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ulster
> In a message dated 12/22/2011 12:01:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> writes:
> R1b1c7 Research and Links:
> http://clanmaclochlainn.com/R1b1c7/
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com