DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-12 > 1324082731

From: "Marie Kerr" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ulster
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:50:32 -0500

A very good point. I have regularly been amazed by the importance people on
this list have given to religion as being a marker of ethnicity. As a
granddaughter of Irish Catholics (my father's side, James J. Golden, whose
DNA is part of this group) and the granddaughter of an English Protestant
+ Irish Catholic, I know how fungible this all is. My father's name was
known to be Anglicized.

I hope that in my lifetime the R-M222 "test" is given to a wide swath of
Ireland, Scotland and England. And I dearly hope that testing to the 111
level clearly identifies those markers that change slowly vs. those that
change quickly. Only then will we know the truth of our research.

Marie Golden Kerr (daughter of James J. Golden)