DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-09 > 1316760573

From: Iain Kennedy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] M222 Robertson/Duncan& other surnamesfrom officialsite of Clan ...
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:49:33 +0000

Actually the title is 'the genealogical histories of Gaelic Scotland' so I slightly misled you there.
'I commence an overview of the genre by seeking to define it. 'Gaelic' genealogical histories are works of narrative prose composed in manuscript, typically in English, between the mid seventeenth and mid nineteenth centuries. Usually they take as their subject a particular kindred and are written by a member of that kindred or an affiliate of high social rank. As Gaels and aristocrats our authors have certain access to oral and likely access to written Gaelic. ...our authors draw upon a range of sources which may include oral history in vernacular Gaelic and material derived from the Classical Gaelic tradition.'
He identifies about 50 items that fit his criteria and they include the Red Book of Clanranald and the Black Book of Taymouth.
Martin MacGregor has written separately on MS 1467 (but before Black's new version we have discussed)
http://www.euppublishing.com/doi/abs/10.3366/inr.2000.51.2.131
cheers
Iain