DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1314211359

From: Jerry Kelly <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] MacLysaght and Woulfe and Mac Firbhisigh
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, John. And good point about O'Hart. It was a massive work, but (in my opinion) badly misguided in trying to translate all Irish names to English phonetic gobbledeegook, thereby breaking the clear, easy link with the past. I wonder whether that contributed to its mistakes. In the last week or so, Gerry Hoy and I found another one. In reality, the Mac Duinnshléibhe sloinne / surnamed family descends from the Ó hEochaidh sloinne, but O'Hart had it the other way around.

Many thanks for showing us Mac Firbhisigh's Leabhar na nGenelach on-line. I did not know it was there. I'm amazed by the quality of the photos, excellent condition of the manuscript, and beauty of Mac Firbhisigh's handwriting. You can see how carefully he prepared his work for the printing press at Louvain. Too bad they didn't go forward with the project. Buíochas le Dia that we have it finally now in the De Búrca edition (2003) so we don't have to go nuts with the nodanna (shorthand).

Le gach dea-ghuí / Best,
Jerry

Treibheanna Éireannacha
www.irishtribes.com