DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1314144751

Subject: Re: [R-M222] MacLysaght and Woulfe
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:12:31 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/23/2011 12:50:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

But, from what I can tell, however, MacLysaght did not have ready access
to Leabhar na nGenelach (The Book of Genealogies) by Dubhaltach Mac
Fhirbhisigh. He could only get at parts of it through O'Donovan's TRIBES AND
CUSTOMS OF HY MANY and TRIBES AND CUSTOMS OF HY FIACHRACH. After waiting for
350 years, Mac Fhirbhisigh's great work was finally published by De Búrca
Books in 2003. So, when Woulfe and MacLysaght disagree on a family origin,
I go to Mac Fhirbhisigh to see who's right.

The MacFirbis genealogies have been online for quite a while.
Un-translated of course with a weak index at the end. Not for the faint of heart.

_http://clanmaclochlainn.com/macfirb.htm_
(http://clanmaclochlainn.com/macfirb.htm)

I read a story once that said that MacLysaght had a copy of O'Hart's Irish
pedigrees open on his desk at all times. I don't know if that's true or
not. It was not comforting to hear.

John

This thread: