DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1313979696

Subject: Re: [R-M222] Cenél Maine - truly Uí Néill?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:21:36 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/21/2011 5:05:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

I don't think any earlier MS have anything useful to us and I'm not even
sure any MS physically survives from the time that Niall himself lived?

'
Thanks, Iain. I worked through O'Rahilly's chapter on Niall to see what
sources he used and didn't come away with much. I also read through a
chapter on Laceys book on the Donegal clans and just found references to a few
poems perhaps dating to the 700s, one of which mentioned Loegaire, son of
Niall. Both mention Adamnan Life of Columcille as a trustworthy source.

John

This thread: