DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1313936004

From: Iain Kennedy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] DNA-R1B1C7 Digest, Vol 5, Issue 260
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:13:24 +0000

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However we need to distinguish between dates of manuscripts and estimates of dates when their original sources might have been written. There is no 597 AD manuscript such as you are implying, it exists in transcription from the 11th century. I apologise if people on this list don't think this distinction matters. Is it a totally accurate transcription without embellishments or errors?

> This is one of the earliest sources (not written 8th-10th centuries) of
> Colum Cille's genealogy at such an early date. Most experts don't know what
> to do with it but think its likely around 600 AD before Aed's death if he so
> commissioned it.

Iain