DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1313921086

From: Iain Kennedy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Cenél Maine - truly Uí Néill?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:04:46 +0000

I've been going through all the early Irish sources trying to identify all the ones that are likely to have onomastic information in them, particularly before the earliest surviving annals (Inisfallen c. 1090). I'm using Kathleen Hughes' book 'Early Christian Ireland: Introduction to the sources' and the chapters on Manuscripts and the Irish language in volume 1 of the New History of Ireland. Most of the early surviving material is purely religious in nature but possibly the first that discusses the Ui Neill is Adamnan's Vita Columbae which can be read on the UCC site and exists in an MS from around 713 AD. This is what Hughes says in part:
'amidst the prophesies, miracles and visions Adamnan does convey a surprising amount of information. .. we hear from Adamnan of the Dal Riadic king Conall, his cousin king Aedan and of Aedan's sons, one of whom Eochaid, succeeded; of the Cenel Conaill king Aed and his son Domnanll, both Ui Neill overlords; of Aed Slaine of Brega, also overlord of the Ui Neill... it is the Life, not the annals, which tells us that the Dal Riadans fought in the battle of Mag Rath, a major landmark in the spread of the Ui Neill power and contraction of Ulster.'
I don't think any earlier MS have anything useful to us and I'm not even sure any MS physically survives from the time that Niall himself lived?

Iain