DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-08 > 1313844521

From: "Robert Reid" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] DNA-R1B1C7 Digest, Vol 5, Issue 255 M222
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:48:41 -0400

Perhaps one of the best cases for West to East migration is Colum Cille
(gaelic Dove of the Chuch, Iona - Hebrew Dove & Latin Columba Dove). I tried
to put down my purported connection. Unfortunately the arrows did not
transfer!!! So sorry. Adomnan (founder of Dull Monastery in Atholl) 7th
century states Columba was the son of Feidlimid, and great grandson of
Conall Gulban. We know he went to Iona ~ 563 AD and the Kindred of Columba
(12 men who went with him, although a couple on his mother's side) were the
ancestors of Clan Donnachaidh in the Atholl, part of Perth. These early
Abbots married & had children in the kindred. I have Crinan (Kindred of
Columba) to Alexander Robertson (who started the Reid sept ~ 1450 AD)
straight back to Cenell Conaill. This is classic West to East from Donegal.
As to the 2 epicenters of M222 in Ireland, my thoughts are that one was from
the northern Ui Neills (16.7% Trinity study) and the other from the brothers
of Niall at Connacht (10% epicenter Trinity study). No other epicenters in
Europe. L21 ~ 4000 years ago in Gaul (France?0 and M269 ~ 6000 years ago
around Causasus. M222 around 1500-2000 years ago NW Ireland. That the M222
did not start with Niall is evident, as his brothers present day clans carry
M222. Thus Muighmheadoin could have been the earliest progenitor, but could
be a few generations back in NW Ireland. That Niall spread the marker
logarithmicly as did Ghenghis Khan (who like Niall was not the progenitor of
his marker) was brought about by prestige & position as the Trinity report
cites. As we know Columba was celibate but his kindred started the abbeys in
Atholl and I am probably off of Crinan ancestry (Montcreiffe & Skeene -
Crinan ancestor of Conall Gulban). I see no East to West from Scotland
movement in Clan Donnachaidh or no steady state Ireland & Scotland modal as
viewed by Campbell & some archaeologists. I think O'Rially's theory is quite
plausible with the Q Celts. We know that Adomnan mentioned no Gaels in St
Columbas' wanderings in Pictland but needed interpreters. So in my case, I
got a good feeling about coming through Niall as do other Robertsons,
Duncans & Reids who carry the M222 marker.

Direct Paternal Ancestry of Robert Reid Y-Chromosome R-M222 SNP

Eochaidh Muighmheadoin Son of Muiredach Tireach, King of Meath

Niall Noigiallachd. C455 AD Niall of the Nine Hostages

Conall Gulban progenitor of the Cenél Conaill, King of Tir Conaill d. 464 AD

Fergus Cendfota son of Conall Gulban

‘Kindred’ of Colum Cille (Columba)
Sons of Fergus Cendfota: Sétnae, Feidlimid, Brénainn, Ninnad. All four sons
produced Abbots of Iona. St Columba celibate, son of Feidlimid Abbots of
Iona 563 – 700 AD

Lugaid (Cenel Lugdech)? son of Sétnae, conjectured by Sir Iain Moncreiffe as
ancestor
of Clan Donnachaidh

Abbots of Dull & Dunkeld, Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland 700-1000 AD – direct
paternal lineal descent fron Conall Gulban

Duncan, Abthane of Dule, abbot of Dunkeld and Governor of Strathclyde b c920
AD

Duncan, mormaer of Atholl and Abthane of Dule, killed 1010 AD at Battle of
Mortlach
where Malcolm II King of Scots
defeated invading Norsemaen

Crinan, Abbot of Dunkeld & Earl of Atholl d. 1045. Progenitor of Clan
Donnachaid

Duncan I MacCrinan, King of Scotland d. 1040 AD killed at
Burghead.

Mael Muire (Melmare) Mormaer of Atholl appointed c1100 AD

Madach (Madadd) 1st Earl of Atholl d. 1145 AD
Malcolm 2nd Earl of Atholl m. c1165 AD to Hextilda

Duncan3rd son of Malcolm 2nd Earl of Atholl

Madach of Clunes (probable male line to Earls of Atholl)
researcher Godon MacGregor)

Andrew de Atholia

Duncan de Atholia d. 1355 AD

Patrick de Atholia, First of Lude

Alexander Reid of Strathloch, descendants called Baron Rua
“Reid”

Baron Reids - descendants in Strathloch, Perthshire,
Scotland c1500 - 1750

Industrial Revolution movement from Perth to Renfrewshire

Mathew Reid – resided in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
1839

Thomas Reid – b. 1839 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland

William Thomson Reid - b. 1869 Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Thomas Reid - b. 1896 Longriggrend, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Daniel Michael Reid - b. 1922 Youngstown, Ohio

Robert Reid - b. 1949 Youngstown, Ohio