DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-07 > 1311886224

From: tuulen <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Keilty surname research
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:50:24 -0400

Hi, Bernard,

I am new to DNA-based family research, too.

DNA can reveal many clues leading to useful information, but the immediate
difficulty is that nobody's family name has DNA. History books can tell us
about ancient families, their names and the general area where they lived,
but, because names have no DNA, discovering any connection which may or may
not exist between any of our names and those names of the past becomes a
matter of developing a well researched and accurate paper-trail based on the
best information available.

Then, as you may already know, individual and family records often can be
found, both in Ireland and in the US, from about the mid-19th century and
later, but earlier than that time becomes more random and records which do
exist sometimes can be confusing or misleading. And going back a few
hundred years could in many cases be extremely difficult or impossible.

That is a fact which we all face. It is worthwhile to keep searching, but
be prepared for difficulties, to the extent of being big challenges. For
instance, my cousin is our family's historian, and it has taken him now more
than 14 years to discover when our great-great-grandfather was born, but we
still do not know where he was born.

I wish you the best of good luck in your search!

Doug