DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-07 > 1311875549

From: Bernard Keilty <>
Subject: [R-M222] Keilty surname research
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:52:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, I just joined the list and figured out how to browse/search. I am new to DNA as well. I am really just a lurking sole who doesn't know what to do with all of the dna info as of yet. FTDNA tells us customers to read the tutorials. I have been researching Keilty family history for just a few years here in the USA (paperwork genealogy).

I am trying to identify accurate information about the Keilty family from Ireland.
I do know that my paternal great-grandfather "Michael Keilty" was supposed to have come from County Tyrone, Ireland and immigrated to the USA abt 1860 settling in Watertown, County Litchfield, Connecticut, 06795 USA. Michael Keilty was born 15 AUG 1838 (Tyrone?) Ireland, died 08 MAR 1923 and buried Mt St James Cemetery, Watertown, County Litchfield, Connecticut, 06795 USA. Possibly from the parish of Kildress and diocese of Armagh. Michael was Catholic and his parents are possibly Patrick Keilty (1810-) and Catherine McShane (1818-) from Ireland.
Michael Keilty (1838-1923) married Sarah Quinn (1854-1927), but it is not known whether married in Ireland or the USA. They had nine children and raised their family in Watertown, County Litchfield, Connecticut, 06795 USA.
I am interested in researching how far back the Keilty surname goes. Some of the other surnames of interest from the paperwork genealogy include Keilty, McShane, Quinn, Kelly (from County Roscommon, Ireland), Dubauskas (from Lithuania).
If anyone could kindly point me in the right direction or refer me to someone it would be greatly appreciated.
I would be pleased to provide any further information.
Bernard Joseph Keilty Jr.

This thread: