DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-07 > 1311272378

From: Jerry Kelly <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] New Tactics - 'Niell McEwan vicNaill Kennedy'
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Iain,

As you know, 'Niell McEwan vicNaill Kennedy' is a pretty good English phonetic
attempt at Niall mac Eoghain mhic Ne/ill Ui/ Cinne/ide = Niall son of Eoghan son
of Niall O'Kennedy.
The English writer nailed the sound of mhic ("vic") and Ne/ill ("Naill")

>From what I've seen of early 17th century English reports in Ireland, this was
the typical way a person would give his/her name, or at least the typical way it
was recorded. In those documents, English officials were usually careful to get
the surnames in order to figure out patterns of loyalty and disloyalty to the
crown, or to know which other family members to hold responsible for the actions
of the individual.

I can't advise on how 'Niell McEwan vicNaill Kennedy' would be rendered in
Scottish Gaelic today, but this is still perfect naming practice in Irish, and
it definitely makes clear which Niall we're talking about. If there are only a
few surnames in a given area, and with so few first names being passed down
within families due to the Gaelic naming pattern, the miniature genealogy is
needed for identification.

The shorthand version of this (without use of the surname and without use of the
words mac or ini/on - 'son' or 'daughter', but still a genealogy) is still the
rule in Irish-speaking areas (and even adjoining English-speaking areas which
are influenced by the Irish custom). Take for example the well-known TV host on
TG4 by the name of Ma/irti/n Tom Shea/ini/n. (See
http://www.tg4.ie/index.php?id=124 ) His name means 'Martin Tom of John'
(Martin Tom son of John). Or, if he's mixed English and Irish practice, Martin
of Tom of John (Martin son of Tom son of John). Either way, the 3 names make
clear which Martin we're talking about even without knowing his surname.

Best,
Jerry