DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-07 > 1311208322

Subject: Re: [R-M222] New Tactics
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 00:32:02 +0000 (UTC)

Doug,

Your absolutely right. I was surprised to see how many different ways my surname "Lane" was spelled in early Ulster records like the 1609 Pardon Lists and 1665 Hearth Money rolls.

I found it listed as Lane, O'Lane O'Luen, Loan, Leine, Leyne, Loane, Lahin, Leen, Lean. The spelling was all over the place, which makes research that much more of a challenge. After my Lane's arrived in Virginia from Ulster in the 1750's I found it spelled as Laine, Lain, and Lane.

I'm still trying to pinpoint where my M-222 Lane's came from in Ulster..The surname Lane does not appear to be that common in Northern Ireland today, but the surname Loane is, particularly in County Tyrone.

Chris Lane