DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-05 > 1305560697

From: Paul Conroy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] MS 1450 new transcription
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:44:57 -0400

Sandy,

Could it make sense for Gille Dubh to evolve into Duinnshleibhe?

Gille Dubh=Servant or follower of a dark haired person, so I don't see how
it could become Duinnshleibhe - unless that is, as already mentioned by
others, that a later generation took a surname from a different personal or
nickname.

Could Duinnshleibhe become M'Duyne, O'Duibhe and other variations?

Duinnshleibhte, is 2 parts, the second is related to Sliabh=Mountain, with
Shleibhte=Of the Mountains. So Duinnshleibhte=either the Fort (Du/n) of the
Mountains, or Duinn (personal name) of the Mountains. If it is the latter,
then it could certainly become M'Duyne or O'Duinn and maybe O'Duibhe.

BTW, there is a Laois name very similar, Ó Dubhuidhe, which is Anglicized as
Deevy and sometimes as Devoy. It is one of the Seven Septs of Laois, whose
origin is said to be Cruithin.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Sandy Paterson <