DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-05 > 1305240899

Subject: [R-M222] Highland Papers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 18:54:59 EDT

While using the digital archives to access the Campbell "Ane Account" in
the highland papers I noticed another volume online that had some old clan
histories.

_http://www.archive.org/_ (http://www.archive.org/)

You can find them by searching for highland papers. Volume 1 contains the
history of the McDonalds.

This is the famous Hugh McDonald history of the MacDonalds written sometime
in the 17th century. In some ways it's similar to the "Ane Account" of
the Campbells. It's opens with young Somerled fighting off the Danes to
regain his lost patrimony. There is a mention of an Allin MacVich Allin
coming from Lochaber to attack Movern - from this Allin descend the family of
Lochiel. I don't know how that works out when compared to Campbell
chronology - not well perhaps since Somerled d. 1164. Hugh, as in the Ane Acount,
mentions a number of descents for other Scottish families. The authenticity
of most have been questioned by historians, especially his tale of the
MacIntyre origin.

Also in Vol. 1

GENEALOGY OE THE MACRAS

Vol. 2

THE GENEALOGIE OF THE SURNAME OF
M'KENZIE SINCE THER COMING INTO
SCOTLAND

ANE ACCOMPT OF THE GENEALOGIE OF THE
CAMPBELLS

There are more volumes of the Highland Papers not contained in the digital
archives. It's a limited series (I think I saw about five or six in a
local library here), published by the SCOTTISH HISTORY SOCIETY.

It seems .pdf copies might be your best shot. The text version uses OCR
and screws up a lot of the text.

John

This thread: