DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-04 > 1302141988

Subject: Re: [R-M222] Cowan
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:06:28 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2011 8:26:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:
Do we have any Scottish Gaelic speakers on this list? I'm copying the
Scottish
Gaelic list to see whether they can help us with some of these
translations.

Jerry, if you want the original versions of those pedgrees you can find
them on my Clan McLaughlin site.

_http://clanmaclochlainn.com/1450.htm_
(http://clanmaclochlainn.com/1450.htm)

I recently pulled down .pdf copies from Google Books as well.

They were transcribed by William Skene in the early 1800s. It's apparent
he misread a lot of the names or incorrectly transcribed them. One obvious
example is from the same Maclachlan pedigree:

Do Genelach ic Lachlan oig.- Cained ic Eoin mc Lachlain
mc Gillapadruic mc Lachlan moir mc Gillapadruic mc
Gillacrist mc Dedaalain renabarta buirrce mc Anradan

Dedalain is Aedh Alainn.

There's another one right after that.

Anradan conerguid clanna Niel nai giall

Skene rendered this is:Henry from whom are descended also the clan Niell.
Apparently he didn't realize nai giall was some form of noigiallagh and it
was a reference to Nial 'of the Nine Hostages.' This was misinterpreted
ever after as a reference to the MacNeill clan of Scotland.

If the text seems substandard much of the blame probably belongs to Skene.

John

This thread: