DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-04 > 1301819267

From: Iain Kennedy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Cowan
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:27:47 +0000

John,

They are all brick-walled Americans which is why I run my own separate testing project over here. Most of them are so-called Scots-Irish who sailed over from Derry and are most likely of lowland Scots descent. The highland branch rarely went to the modern States but turn up in large numbers in Canada (especially Ontario) and Australia.

Like most common surnames the Kennedys are a mixture of haplogroups and both lowland and highland branches contain a mixture of M222 and non-M222. It isn't possible to determine via STR testing if the M222 ones have a significant common descent, nor to work out the historical source of the highland branch.

I know Brian well and he was the first to point out to me the Deer entry. There is in fact a Kennedy branch who trace back to this area in Aberdeenshire in the early 1400s but they are difficult to pin down for testing and again, it's not proven whether they are native or connected with one of the other groups.

Iain