DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-03 > 1300655546

Subject: Re: [R-M222] Birch
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:12:26 EDT

In a message dated 3/20/2011 3:55:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:
stumbled across this yesterday :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2733445/Birch.png

It's O'Hart's version of a pedigree for Lamont. What intrigues me about it
is that he has Boirche as the brother of Hugh (Aodh), rather that Hugh
being
Boirche. Or have I misinterpreted?

I think the original for that pedigree in O'Hart is the O'Clery Book of
Genealogies which has the only pedigree specifically labeled Meg Buirch.

Genelach Meg Buirrce

588. Donnchad m Eoin m Giolla colaim (col. b) m Ladhmainn m Giolla cholaim
m Ferchair m Duinn sleibe m Buirrce (a quo meg Buirrce) m Anrothain m
Aedha atlamain

I never noticed that before but it does say that a Buirrce was the son of
Anrathan and grandson of Aedh Athlaman. If you compare that to the other
Lamont pedigrees a logical deduction would be that this Buirch was a brother
of Aedh (Hugh) Alainn. But most of the other pedigrees label Aedh Alainn
renabarta (called) Buirch so there seems to be some confusion here.

.Skene's MS. 1450 also contains the same thing. It omits the name Aedh
Alainn and just contains Buirch in that part of the pedigree. I think O'Hart
might have tried to combine both versions and wound up with what you see in
his Irish Pedigrees.

The very earliest (debatedly, since we don't know exactly when the material
of the MS. 1450 was first composed) pedigrees for this kindred are in the
Books of Ballymote and Lecan c. 1400 AD. Neither has the name
Duinnsleibhe and both have Aedh Alainn renabarta Buirch.

John

This thread: