DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2011-03 > 1300624598

Subject: Re: [R-M222] The Scots : A Genetic Journey
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:36:38 EDT

Allene

I am aware of the MacAdam or should I say MaCaddam family from Carsphairn?
I have not included them for one reason. There appears to be another
lineage of the same name from Argylshire. One of the difficulties facing a
search like this, is that other same surnames appear in other parts of Scotland
and they unrelated.

Galloway is a good example where often families with similar surnames are
confused with Highland clans and families, and in some cases, claimed to be
Septs. The Griersons are a good example of this. David Grierson has worked
hard in the background to persuade others in the Grierson Project, that the
Griersons of Lag are a native Dumfriesshire family and not a branch of the
Clan MacGregor.

Can you tell where the best place is to find them or can you send me copies
with some additional information to show the link with Carsphairn. I will
check to see how they fit in.

I have read some articles on the McCaddams and from memory they appear in
the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Transactions. R. C. Reid has quite a few
references to them in his rare collection of transcripts and extracts now
bounded in books held at the Ewart Library in Dumfries.

Alan