DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-09 > 1285323825

From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: [R-M222] Ewings Incognito
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:23:45 +0100

David,

Let's take a closer look.

The 5 Ewings in 3a and 3b have kit numbers

320563a
1262053a
1215133b
1319583b
154041 3b

Considering them one by one, these are their closest non-surname matches
over 37 markers :

32056 matches Lamont 108794 and McGlothin 115267 at a gd of 3.
126205 matches Cullen, Dexter and Neel at a gd of 5.
121513 matches McLaughlin 57761 at a gd of 2.
131958 matches McLaughlin 57761 at a gd of 2.
154041 matches McLaughlin 57761 at a gd of 2.

In summary, none of these matches are closer than a gd of 2.

Now you may think that a non-surname match at a gd of 2 over 37 markers is
rare. In fact they are quite common, ranging from 21 such matches for
Mackenzie 26917 to zero for Conroy 16646.

The rest of us have between zero and 21, but (I suspect) closer on average
to zero than to 21. My own FTDNA home pages reports 3 such matches:

Burks
McHarg
Dougan

So to me, although a non-surname match at a gd of 2 over 37 markers could
conceivably be the result of an NPE, you need much better evidence than that
to conclude that they are indeed NPE's.

Sandy