DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-09 > 1285103219

From: Paul Conroy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] FTDNA Home Page
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:06:59 -0400

Sandy,

You are correct - I was unaware of this much closer match to me.

The reason are multiple:
1. By default ftDNA shows you close matches at 12 markers only, plus close
matches from whatever you set as your default surname/geographic group - in
my case the Conroy Group. As this Dunn was not a member, he never showed up.
2. I am interested in deep ancestry of R-M222, and so have been more active
in the the R-L21 group project, DNA-Forums.com and WorldFamilies.com in this
regards
3. I have become very interested in my own specific DNA, as tested by
23AndMe.com, and am a very active participant there, and related sites.

My thinking on R-M222 is has come to resemble that of Jean Manco to some
extent, that R-M222 may represent La Tene Celts in Ireland, with an initial
invasion/settlement site of North East Ireland. She sees the Cruitin as
being synonymous with La Tene Celts. It's certainly true that R-M222 has a
distribution like that of the Cruitin in Ireland.
http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/celtictribes.shtml

What I think happened is that 200 BC or before saw an invasion/migration of
p-Celtic La Tene Celts from Continental Europe - maybe via Scotland, but not
necessarily. They overwhelmed the whole North of the country, and split it
into 2 different dialectal domains and cultures. Then somewhere after 150
AD, there was a resurgence of the q-Celtic Southern half of the country -
perhaps infused by a new chiefly lineage of the Connachta - from the area of
modern day Belgium. This group swept North, then East, in a re-conquista of
Northern Ireland, and slowly defeated and assimilated the Cruitin - who may
have fled in part to South Western Scotland.
Niall may have been mythical, but if not, may have been like Somerled - who
crushed the Vikings in the Hebrides and assimilated them, though he himself
was seemingly of Viking descent. More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerled

Of course this is all just conjecture on my part, but might go some way to
explain the web of interconnections of R-M222.

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Sandy Paterson <