DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-09 > 1284052050

From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ambiguity in M222
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 18:07:30 +0100

Hi Connie

My family only arrived in SA during WW2 (my father was an instructor pilot
in the RAF), but from history lessons I've always thought of the 1820
Settlers as English or Scots. I think your SA Gillespie may have arrived in
SA a little later than 1820, but later immigrations of English speakers were
all part of British attempts to 'civilise' the place and the English didn't
really regard the Irish as being civilised.

Then there's the fact that your one Gillespie M222 group (the one that
includes the South African) is solidly 26,14 at DYS481,487. The only other
surname that I've found with this is the small group of Lamont M222,
definitely Scots. Then there's the 11 at DYS442. Only two surnames appear in
M222 with more than one haplotype having DYS442=11, and they are Ewing and
Gillespie. As with Lamont, Ewing is definitely Scots.

Unfortunately this is hardly conclusive, especially given that the matches
to Lamont and Ewing in terms of gd are not compellingly close. Still, my
reply to him would be that the balance of probability favours a Scots
descent. Perhaps he can contact the 1820 Settlers organisation to find out
more about the nationality of the 1820 Settlers and later immigrations. If
they were indeed predominantly English/Scots, I'd be fairly confident that
he is of Scots descent.

Sandy