DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-08 > 1280749674

From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] How long has M222 been in Scotland?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:47:54 +0100

Iain

>From your postings, I get the impression that you are well placed to clarify
something that's been puzzling me for some time.

I have read, probably on the FTDNA site, but on other sites as well, that
the estimated world population of M222 is about 2.5 to 3 million. The
population of Scotland is around 5m and the combined population of Eire and
Northern Ireland is also around 5m. In Ireland (combined), the M222 density
seems to be about 15% and in Scotland about 5%.

We are not talking surgical precision here but that comes to about 1m
people. So it seems that only about 40% of M222 lies in Ireland and Scotland
combined, the balance being in the rest of the world.

Why then, if about 60% of M222 lies outside Ireland and Scotland, would it
be surprising to find M222 for instance in NE Scotland? Am I missing
something?

Sandy